What is CBD?
Cbd (short for cannabidiol) is the non-psychoactive portion of the cannabid sativa plant and used for industrial hemp purposes. It contais less as 0,25 of thc (tetrahydrocannibanol)
The cannabis sativa plant belongs to the botanical family of cannabaceae.
Most common types:
- industrial hemp (<0,2% of thc (non-psychoactive)
- cannabis sativa l (>0,2% of thc (psychoactive)
- cannabis sativa var indica
The industrial hemp is a variety of the cannabis sativa plant and as earlier mentioned it contains less than 0,2% of thc, therefore, non psycho active neither when smoked or ingested.
Although industrial hemp has legal coverage and is even subsidised at european level, the farming/cultivation of industrial hemp is not very common in spain.
USE OF INDUSTRIAL HEMP
- Textile fibres, highly resistant ropes, strings etc
- Seeds and oil, rich in omega 3 fats and proteins (aprox 34%)
- Ecofuels, biofuel, lubricants, bioplastics
- High resistance bio-construction materials
- Cellulose for paper
- Medicinal and cosmetic applications of its oil
- Insulation materials, plastic parts and textiles for the car industry
- Human consumption (in those countries where permitted)
BENEFITS OF CBD
- Cbd is one of the main components of the cannabis plant. It has numerous therapeutic applications within the different fields of health care.
- The cbd is located within the hemp flower and this active ingredient is extracted from this flower. It can be used in a variety of ways whether applied as spray, by mouth or mixed with other ingredients. The who (world health organisation) states that this product has not only no negative effects, but instead, a high therapeutic potential.
- The spanish national agency for medicines and health products (agencia española del medicamento y productos sanitarios) states that the hemp plant and its flowers, containing less than 0,2% of thc, are not considered (illegal) drugs. The same occurs with cbd, one of the non- psycho active cannabidiol of the hemp plant.
- In countries such as denmark, austria, belgium, italy and also spain, the use of cbd oil (extracted from the hemp flower) have been authorised for medicinal and therapeutic use.
- CBD produces beneficial effects on the cb1 and cb2 receptors within our brain, receptors that deal with pain, emotions and the immune system.
- The various applications of the CBD, extracted from the hemp plant, is very varied and especially used in the health/therapeutic/cosmetic sector, but also many other products rich in this substance, can be produced.
SPAIN THE IDEAL PLACE TO CULTIVATE
It is a fast growing plant and is ideal for cultivation in hot and humed or temperate climates. For this reason, spain is an ideal place for cultivation of industrial hemp.
Currently, industrial hemp is cultivated in some of the autonomous communities (regions) of spain. In the north of spain, due to its humed and rainy climate the production is concentrated for nutritional purposes meanwhile in the south of the country, the production goes mainly to the cellulose/paper industry.
The most well known companies in spain specialised in seeds/seedbeds are based in Tarragona, Guadalajara, Barcelona, Lugo and Huesca amongst other places.
Reactivating and increasing the cultivation of industrial hemp means benefits for the national, regional and local communities. It also would mean creation of new employments and a perfect tool for combating rural depopulation.
This is about the project that will convert almeria in southern spain in the medical marijuana capital of the world, in all sense, starting from production, treatments and investigation.
It is planned to build 5 greenhouses for industrial hemp cultivation, a hospital and an investigation centre, a luxury hotel and an oil extraction plant amongst others.
Los invernaderos con una superficie de diez hectáreas aproximadamente, están preparados para comenzar la plantación y su futura recolección. Incluso tienen vendida la primera cosecha a una de las farmacéuticas líderes del sector, Mandara Pharma (Canadá).
The greenhouses will be sized aprox. 10 hectares and the future first harvest has been already purchased by one of the leading pharmaceutical companies in the sector, mandara pharma from canada. From these 5 greenhouses it is expected to obtain 21 tons per harvest, 6 harvests a year meaning this a total of 126 tons per year.
It is also worth mentioning that another 4 projects are being developed in the region (area of nijar) consisting of another 4 greenhouses for the same purposes.